Re: Tool to drop columns from oracle 7 table?

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 21:11:55 +0800

Dons wrote:

> On Thu, 07 Dec 2000 10:00:21 GMT, hhultink_at_my-deja.com wrote:
>
> >So you would just have to write a script to
> >copy the records to another table, and then recreating it and filling
> >it with the records from the copied table, without the obsolete column.
>
> I know this regular method but I think there might be a (third-party)
> tool that takes this tedious part away, so you can drop a column with
> one command/mouseclick.
>
> Greetz,
>
> Martin

Easy way -

  1. rename table
  2. create a view (minus the column) on the table using the original table name for the view

This is (pretty close to) what happens in 8i when you use SET UNUSED

HTH

Connor McDonald
http://www.oracledba.co.uk (mirrored at
http://www.oradba.freeserve.co.uk)

"Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue"