Re: user exits in Forms 6

From: DriftWood <drift_wood_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 19:51:25 GMT

In article <b0qX5.1944$m6.167816_at_typhoon2.ba-dsg.net>,   "John Thelman" <john.thelman_at_verizon.net> wrote: <snip>
> An example of Oracle stupidity, which cost me a week:
>
> You can't write a userexit for Forms 6.0 with the 8.1.6 precompiler.
 Just
> because you have the latest version of the products apparently
 doesn't mean
> they are compatible. No errors here, it just doesn't work. They
 stated I
> must use the previous version of the pre-compiler (8.0.6) to generate
 the
> usere-exit. This worked.

Here you have hit on the single largest reason NOT to ever do a user exit. The tight binding between the versions of:

1)Forms
2)Precompiler
3)RDBMS

 and the added possibility of an OS Version contention as well.

FFI is a far superior solution, the only down side being that they don't officially share the connection context. You CAN share the connection context in an FFI DLL (although it isn't 'supported') by linking in the appropriate OBJ file and Forms UE library.

If you do get it working, I would certainly be interested in hearing what your solution was.

--
-cheers
  DW

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/