Re: How To Get Developer 6.0 And Oracle DB To Talk To Each Other ORA-12514 ??

From: Greg Teets <gteets_at_rr.cinci.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 22:30:29 GMT

[Quoted] I still get the error "Cannot resolve service name. Please tell me what is wrong with following:

I have Oracle 8i in home D:\ora8i. I have Forms 6i in home D:\orant.

From installing Oracle 8i I have the following information:

     Global Database Name       oracle.greg
     SID                                               oracle

Following are the contents of tnsnames.ora which is in both D:\ora81\network\Admin and D:\orant\Net80\Admin.

# D:\ORA81\NETWORK\ADMIN\TNSNAMES.ORA Configuration File:D:\ora81\network\admin\tnsnames.ora # Generated by Oracle Net8 Assistant

EXTPROC_CONNECTION_DATA.CINCI.RR.COM =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC0))
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
(SID = PLSExtProc)
(PRESENTATION = RO)

    )
  )

ORACLE.GREG =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = greg)(PORT = 1521))
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
(SERVICE_NAME = oracle.greg)

    )
  )

Following are the contents of listener.ora which is in d:\ora81\network\admin.
# D:\ORA81\NETWORK\ADMIN\LISTENER.ORA Configuration File:D:\ora81\network\admin\listener.ora # Generated by Oracle Net8 Assistant

LISTENER =
  (DESCRIPTION_LIST =
    (DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =

        (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC0))
      )

(ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = greg)(PORT = 1521)) )

    )
    (DESCRIPTION =
(PROTOCOL_STACK =
        (PRESENTATION = GIOP)
        (SESSION = RAW)
      )

(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = greg)(PORT = 2481))
    )
  )

SID_LIST_LISTENER =
  (SID_LIST =
    (SID_DESC =
(SID_NAME = PLSExtProc)
(ORACLE_HOME = D:\ora81)
(PROGRAM = extproc)
    )
    (SID_DESC =
(GLOBAL_DBNAME = oracle.greg)
(ORACLE_HOME = D:\ora81)
(SID_NAME = ORACLE)

    )
  )

The idea is to get Oracle 8i and Forms to talk to each other. Since they are on the same box, I am somewhat mystified by the TCP and host info.

Please tell me how to configure this so that Forms can interface to the database.

Thanks for your help.

On Tue, 12 Sep 2000 18:23:11 +0200, "Martin Vonk" <m.w.vonk_at_chello.nl> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>3) A TNSNAMES entry needs to be created in the tnsnames.ora file for the new
[Quoted] [Quoted] >Oracle 8i installation. You can find the file in:
[Quoted] >d:\orant\net80\admin\tnsnames.ora
>A default entry will look like this:
>alias.world
>(DESCRIPTION
>(ADDRESS_LIST
>(ADDRESS
>(PROTOCOL = TCP)
>(Host = )
>(Port = )
>)
>)
>(CONNECT_DATA = (SID = )
>)
>)
>For example, if you installed on a machine with a HOSTNAME of TEST, a SID
>named ORA8I, on TCP/IP with port 1521, and an alias of NEW, you would create
[Quoted] >the following entry:
[Quoted] >NEW.world
>(DESCRIPTION
>(ADDRESS_LIST
>(ADDRESS
>(PROTOCOL = TCP)
[Quoted] >(Host = TEST)
>(Port = 1521)
>)
>)
>(CONNECT_DATA = (SID = ORA8I)
>)
>)
>
>4) If you manually created the entry, save and close the tnsnames.ora file.
[Quoted] [Quoted] >You can now connect to the local database instance of 8i using the DBSTRING
[Quoted] >as NEW. For example, you can connect as scott/tiger_at_NEW.

>HTH
>
>Martin

[Quoted] [Quoted] >Greg Teets <gteets_at_rr.cinci.com> schreef in berichtnieuws