Re: How To Get Developer 6.0 And Oracle DB To Talk To Each Other ORA-12514 ??

From: Greg Teets <gteets_at_rr.cinci.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 05:33:36 GMT

I'm sure I tried this before but....

I just typed in oracle.greg as the SID and it worked. Thanks for your help!

Of course, now I'm so tired I have to go to bed. heh, heh

But it does feel good to get it working.

Thanks again.

On Wed, 29 Nov 2000 04:51:05 GMT, gteets_at_rr.cinci.com (Greg Teets) wrote:

>When I try to connect, Forms presents a dialog box asking for
> User - scott
> PW - Tiger
> SID - oracle. I've also tried ORACLE.
>
>Since this is all on the same box, why do i need to involve
>SQLNet or TCP or even use a domain name?
>
>I'm not a networking guy but I should be able to get this working.
>
>Thanks for your help.
>

>On Wed, 29 Nov 2000 00:08:33 +0100, "Sybrand Bakker"
><postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote:
>
>>Could you please post
>>the *exact* connect string you are using.
>>The contents of your sqlnet.ora.
>>By virtue of the use of 'oracle.greg' your database domain now is 'greg',
>>which you might not use when connecting.
>>
>>Hth,
>>
>>Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA
>>
>>"Greg Teets" <gteets_at_rr.cinci.com> wrote in message
>>> I still get the error "Cannot resolve service name. Please tell me
>>> what is wrong with following:
>>>
>>> I have Oracle 8i in home D:\ora8i. I have Forms 6i in home D:\orant.
>>>
>>> From installing Oracle 8i I have the following information:
>>> Global Database Name oracle.greg
>>> SID oracle
>>>
>>> Following are the contents of tnsnames.ora which is in both
>>> D:\ora81\network\Admin and D:\orant\Net80\Admin.
>>>
>>> # D:\ORA81\NETWORK\ADMIN\TNSNAMES.ORA Configuration
>>> File:D:\ora81\network\admin\tnsnames.ora
>>> # Generated by Oracle Net8 Assistant
>>>
>>> EXTPROC_CONNECTION_DATA.CINCI.RR.COM =
>>> (DESCRIPTION =
>>> (ADDRESS_LIST =
>>> (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC0))
>>> )
>>> (CONNECT_DATA =
>>> (SID = PLSExtProc)
>>> (PRESENTATION = RO)
>>> )
>>> )
>>>
>>> ORACLE.GREG =
>>> (DESCRIPTION =
>>> (ADDRESS_LIST =
>>> (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = greg)(PORT = 1521))
>>> )
>>> (CONNECT_DATA =
>>> (SERVICE_NAME = oracle.greg)
>>> )
>>> )
>>>
>>> Following are the contents of listener.ora which is in
>>> d:\ora81\network\admin.
>>> # D:\ORA81\NETWORK\ADMIN\LISTENER.ORA Configuration
>>> File:D:\ora81\network\admin\listener.ora
>>> # Generated by Oracle Net8 Assistant
>>>
>>> LISTENER =
>>> (DESCRIPTION_LIST =
>>> (DESCRIPTION =
>>> (ADDRESS_LIST =
>>> (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC0))
>>> )
>>> (ADDRESS_LIST =
>>> (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = greg)(PORT = 1521))
>>> )
>>> )
>>> (DESCRIPTION =
>>> (PROTOCOL_STACK =
>>> (PRESENTATION = GIOP)
>>> (SESSION = RAW)
>>> )
>>> (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = greg)(PORT = 2481))
>>> )
>>> )
>>>
>>> SID_LIST_LISTENER =
>>> (SID_LIST =
>>> (SID_DESC =
>>> (SID_NAME = PLSExtProc)
>>> (ORACLE_HOME = D:\ora81)
>>> (PROGRAM = extproc)
>>> )
>>> (SID_DESC =
>>> (GLOBAL_DBNAME = oracle.greg)
>>> (ORACLE_HOME = D:\ora81)
>>> (SID_NAME = ORACLE)
>>> )
>>> )
>>>

>>> The idea is to get Oracle 8i and Forms to talk to each other. Since
>>> they are on the same box, I am somewhat mystified by the TCP and
>>> host info.
>>>
>>> Please tell me how to configure this so that Forms can interface to
>>> the database.
>>>
>>> Thanks for your help.

 DBSTRING