Re: new user needs help

From: justvrk <justvrk_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 11:01:39 -0500

Hi,

    First things first -

a) Have U installed the Oracle Server software ? If so..
b) Have you created a database on your system ?
c) If yes, Is the instance up ?
d) Can you connect locally ?

For a) try running the Oracle installer ( infact set autorun in your machine and put in your Oracle CD ) and verify what all things are installed on your machine. If you haven't installed go in for the typical install and proceed as instructed.

b) Go to Control panel/Services and check whether U have a couple of services like OracleServiceORCL and OracleStartORCL ( or something similar - Cannot recall exact names in Oracle 8 ) If no specified services are present - then probably U haven't created a database.

c) If in b) U identified that U have a couple of services as specified then make sure U start then..

d) login to the database using the default logins like for system the password is manager; sys is change_on_install. If sqlplus demands an tns connect string.. go to dos prompt, say SET <ORACLE_SID> #where ORACLE_SID is your database name which is also present in the service name like OracleServiceORCL ( ORCL is the ORACLE_SID ) and try using C:\>sqlplus system/manager ( dos version )
U should be able to connect to the database...

HTH,
justvrk