Re: Problems with PROC: Connect statement modifying local variable

From: Holger Kreft <Holger.Kreft_at_sutter.de>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2000 09:51:55 +0100

Dirk Jablonski <dj_at_insos.com> schrieb in im Newsbeitrag: 3A07BFE3.421FA4B_at_insos.com...
> [...]
> 1) I fill a 'struct tm' named myTime variable with my own values
> 2) I call EXEC SQL CONNECT :username IDENTIFIED BY :password;
>
> After the connect statement, the contents of myTime have changed. Can
> anybody tell me why?
> This struct has NOTHING to do with the database...

This looks more like a typicall C-Problem than an Oracle-Problem. Whenever you write something into a variable, which has been defined to small to take the value, you will write into the space next behind this variable. And there will usually be another variable. Whenever the content of a variable changes allthough it had not been touched, it is just a side effect of the original problem.
In most cases you have a string with missing "\0" or simply too long for the variable you write into.

regards

Holger Kreft Received on Thu Nov 09 2000 - 09:51:55 CET

Original text of this message