Re: Question about installing designer.

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2000 21:04:00 +0200

[Quoted] "Peter Holm" <PHolm_at_gmx.de> wrote in message news:kic6vs8856g376b838mvvvm6ogs906ubkn_at_4ax.com...
> Hello,
>
> sorry for this newbie-questions but i could not find any hints in the
> documentation about that:
>
> I try to install Designer on a NT Server. A 8.1.6 Database is installed
> and running on that machine. If I try to install Designer into the
> ORACLE HOME , installer tells me:
>
> The location specified, d:\oracle\orahome81\ is already used as an
> Oracle Home for 'Oracle 816 Production'
>
> It cannot be used as an Oracle home for 'nt'
>

> I never entered something like 'nt'. What´s that?
>

> Have a nice thread,
> Peter

I will abstract previous posts on this subject for you, I didn't yet install [Quoted] developer on my own system yet, so I don't have real world experience.The posts are pretty consistent though.

1 Developer doesn't understand the multiple home concept which is mandatory for Oracle 8i
[Quoted] 2 because of this you need to install Developer *first*, using the regular home c:\orant
3 After that you need to install Oracle 8i *in a different Oracle Home* 4 as you already have 8i installed, you now need to *de-install* 8i, complaints at Oracle.
5 as you probably end-up with different %ORACLE_HOME%\net[work|80]\admin directories, you need to setup sqlnet|net8 in both directories.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Sun Oct 22 2000 - 21:04:00 CEST

Original text of this message