Re: Sequence Question using Developer

From: DanHW <danhw_at_aol.com>
Date: 17 Oct 2000 21:10:08 GMT

>I'm currently using Developer Rel 2.1 Win NT against an Oracle 8.0.5
>database installed on a remote machine. I have an application that
>has several tabs that contain datablocks. Each tab contains one parent
>datablock with it's related child tables. On one of my parent
>datablocks
>I use a sequence for generating new records as well as another sequence
>for a child table within the same tab. The problem I am having is that
>when I run my form, and begin to go through the parent records (via
>down arrow key or next_record icon button on menu bar) my child
>datablock seems to go out and grab the next value in it's sequence.
>Both parent and child use different sequences. They also are fire
>with the trigger WHEN-CREATE-RECORD, but only at their
>respected data-block level. Does anyone know why this happens?

I have not confirmed this on Forms 6/6i, but on 4.5, the sequence was interogated on a query (I think on the WHEN-NEW-RECORD-INSTANCE because it does a CLEAR-BLOCK first). That might be what is gobblling up the sequences. You might be able to put a NULL; in the on-sequence-number trigger and make it skip this step.

HTH
Dan Hekimian-Williams Received on Tue Oct 17 2000 - 23:10:08 CEST

Original text of this message