Re: Connecting a DB without the 'Host String'

From: <villagefox_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 16:30:11 GMT

You did not say which version of SQL*Net (used host strings in 2.3 a long time ago) or Net8 (uses connect strings). I'll assume you're using Net8, in which case you need to specify a tnsnames.ora (default location is in ORACLE_HOME/network/admin, unless changed by the TNS_ADMIN environment variable). Each entry consists of an alias name (what you specify in a command such as sqlplus user/pass_at_alias or if you set the TWO_TASK environment variable to alias you connect to it by default) and an address (which consists of a unique identifier: host name and service name or sid). If you are connecting via a GUI window, then you fill in the text boxes with the userid, password and the alias name from your tnsnames.ora.

Let me know if this helps or supply a bit more info on your setup where you're having trouble connecting ... eg, O/S of client and server, etc.

In article <8sf5kf$gus$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   atwork_at_guay.com wrote:
> I am trying to connect an Oracle DB, and I 'only' know the SID, but
 not
> the 'Host String' (I think it is the same as the 'Service Name', isn't
> it?).
>
> How can I connect it in order to create fields?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Mon Oct 16 2000 - 18:30:11 CEST

Original text of this message