Re: Oracle Forms/Reports Server 6i success/failure stories

From: John Alexander <jalexander_at_summitsoftwaredesign.com>
Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2000 20:06:59 GMT

[Quoted] According to Forms Server documentation on Oracle's MetaLink, each CPU on a [Quoted] Unix box can support 200-400 users. Each user session can be expected to use [Quoted] 2-6MB of memory, depending on form size. From that information, a Unix box with 1 or 2 CPUs and 2GB of memory should [Quoted] be able to handle 300 users. When benchmarking with 30 users on such a box, [Quoted] 6i ran as fast or faster than standard client server. I have not seen the response time when the box is being run at full capacity, though. MetaLink will probably have similar information for you on NT boxes. My experience using an NT box for the Forms server was with Forms 5.0. The response time was terrible, but that may have been Forms 5.0 and not NT.

As far as small forms vs. large, some of the decision depends on how large your forms could be. If it uses 3 or 4 canvases with only a few tables, I don't think you'll get much benefit from splitting it up. However, if you have 10-15 canvases, including tabbed canvases, you could see some performance impact if you have 300 users all running forms of that size. One reason you may want to limit how much you split up the forms into many smaller forms: When testing performance of opening many forms, the Forms server did not appear to be releasing all of the memory when a form was closed. After opening and closing a small form 300 times within a single session, the memory usage for that session had increased from 2MB to 10MB.

John Alexander
www.SummitSoftwareDesign.com