Oracle Forms/Reports Server 6i success/failure stories

From: Charlton Purvis <purvis386_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2000 15:19:03 GMT

[Quoted] Hi there:

As project technical lead for a South Carolina state-wide legal case management solution, I have all but decided to rely exclusively on Oracle Forms/Reports 6i. We realize that client-server would be a failsafe  yet possibly slow solution, however I'm interested in any success/failure stories anyone has had w/ Forms/Reports Server.

The final system may rely on as many as 3-4 large 8i replicated database servers, but the Forms/Reports Server would probably be housed on one NT box (although I haven't looked into multiple app servers for F/R Server) w/ a maximum of 300 concurrent users. Assuming everyone connects over the LAN at a decent speed (some T1, others ADSL, DSL, cable), what type of performance should I expect from F/R Server? Have you had a positive or negative experience?

In terms of the design of the forms, I am currently investigating the effectivness of having many small forms rather than a few large forms. I don't know the trade-off value for many small vs. few large; I'm a little worried about overhead required to launch many forms rather than spending more lag time up-front to sync w/ releatively few but cumbersome forms. Any stories here?

Thanks for your help.

Charlton Purvis

Advanced Solutions Group
Department of Physics
College of Science and Mathematics
University of South Carolina
Columbia, South Carolina 29208

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Fri Oct 06 2000 - 17:19:03 CEST

Original text of this message