Re: Migrating Oracle WebDB to another machine.

From: Van Bruwaene, Stephen [SKY:0090:EXCH] <bruwaene_at_nortel.ca>
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2000 14:20:48 -0400

If you are using the same version of the RDBMS, a simple way to do it is to:

  1. Do a full export (Entire database) from the old system using exp
  2. Drop the WebDB schema and any other schema's that you have created on the new system (since importing over this will cause problems with referential constraints, duplicate records, etc.)
  3. Import the complete file you exported previously, with the option to ignore errors due to object existence

I have done this a number of times with Oracle 8.0.5, and it works quite well (albiet rather slow). I presume it will also work with 7.3.4, although I can't guarantee anything. What's the worst that can happen though? You may have to re-install the new DB if it goes screwy.

I hope this helps!

Steve.