Re: Oracle Designer

From: <pete_karanikas_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 14:42:59 GMT

Using Desinger to create and maintain your data model is the only way to go. You will learn how to create what you need in no more than a day or two. Once you get the hang of it, it will be easy to build any database design in a short time. If you would rather hand code the DDL (which is very time consuming and subject to errors),or you have an exisiting DB, you can reverse engineer the DB back into Designer. You can then generate the DDL from Desinger and edit it or run it by hand if you like.

Desinger is a bit tricky to install if you need to use the repository... which you will certainly need to if you are building a new system.

With only two people working on a project, you will be spread pretty thin across your responsibilities. You will find Desinger to be an incredible tool for maintaining your datamodel.

In article <mcxm5.24$I5.2132_at_news20.bellglobal.com>,   "Lesley Boughner" <lesley_at_vimich.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone, I know this isn't exactly database related but I
 wanted to
> get some unbiased opinions about Oracle Designer if anyone out there
 has
> used
> it.
>
> We have recently completed the database design (on paper) for an
 Oracle 8i
> Database. I was about to begin creating that database on the
 server. I was
> at and Oracle Forms course and they strongly recommended that we use
> Designer to build the project. We had planned on developing using
 Oracle
> Developer, which we have already purchased and used a little.
>
> If anyone has experience with it could you answer a few questions for
 me:
> -is it worth the time to learn that product?
> -is it difficult to learn?
> -what benefits will it give us?
> -are there any drawbacks we need to consider?
> -there are only two of us working on this project & we have both
 recently
> gone through rigorous Oracle 8i database training and Oracle
 Developer - so
> we're leery of learning another new product .
>
> Thanks for your help, any input is appreciated.
>
> L. Boughner
> Vimich Traffic Logistics

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Aug 16 2000 - 16:42:59 CEST

Original text of this message