Re: Oracle Designer

From: Cliff Palmer <cliff_at_palmercs.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 19:13:51 GMT

Lesley, we have used Oracle Designer for about 4 years now and would recommend it with some caveats:
1 - when you re-generate physical models from logical models (i.e. after you add a relationship or entity), remove *all* the objects from the existing model beforehand - designer can do some strange things if there are things already in the physical model.
2 - dont try to run it in less than 128 MB of memory under NT, particularly if you have things like email notifys.
3 - it will be slow, you cant make it faster (and will break things if you try), so have some light reading handy.
4 - create the repository database as a stand-alone instance of Oracle and add about 15% to the space requirements listed in the installation guide. Expect the scripts the create the repository to fail and require Oracle's assistance. 5 - dont ever run the scripts that designer generates directly without checking them carefully. They will be wrong.
6 - designer, like other design tools, is not really needed for smaller applications. If you have less than 50 tables and related indices, just say "no".