Designer 6i requires Enterprise Server?

From: <pointstreak_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/08/11

[Quoted] I'm pretty new to Oracle, and I have been struggling with some of the installation and setup of some of their products. I find myself coming to these newsgroups a little too often, but luckily I usually find someone else who has had the same problem.

I've been attempting to install Designer 6i on my Windows 98 machine, and create a repository on a RedHat Linux box that has Oracle 8.1.6 Standard installed and configured. After much blood, sweat and tears, I [Quoted] got to the point where I should be able to create the repository. When I connect with the Repository Administration Utility, Check Requirements has everything set up (except CREATE_PUBLIC_SYNONYM and DELETE_PUBLIC_SYNONYM, don't need those). However, when I click on Install, I get the peculiar message:

WARNING: Oracle with Enterprise Edition option is not present. Retry Repository installation after re-installing this option.

Is it implying that I need to have Oracle 8.1.6 EE installed on my Linux box? Considering people install it with Personal Oracle, I would think that would hardly be the case. However, I have not seen this problem posted by anyone else. When this happens, there are no new entries added to the designer log files.

Some more details of my system:

Server:
Red Hat Linux 6.2
128MB RAM
Oracle 8.1.6 Standard

  • instance started
  • listener working
  • can connect with SQL*PLUS from my Win98 machine All the pre-repository steps completed

Client:
Windows 98 (4.10.1998)
48MB (I know, its a laptop)
Oracle Designer 6i

  • tnsnames.ora set up (connects through SQL*PLUS) Has some junk left over from other Oracle products (OEM 2.1, Oracle 8i Personal) that Designer promptly killed.

If anyone has a solution, or at least something that would point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated. Also, if you can send a copy to szopa_at_REMOVEME.sfu.ca, that would be great (I don't trust deja yet).

dominik.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Fri Aug 11 2000 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message