Re: OEM 2.1 discovering nodes incorrectly

From: Ted McCabe <theom_at_gte.net>
Date: 2000/07/13

  1. Your SQLNET.ORA file may tell your system to use HOSTNAMES. NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH=(HOSTNAMES) to use tnsnames.ora set it to NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH=(TNSNAMES)
  2. OEM 21 has a problem truncating the tnsnames.ora file. There are patches on Metalink to fix this.
  3. If using the TNS_ADMIN variable to point to the directory where tnsnames.ora is, there is a note about 8.1 needing the trailing backslash in the value for it to work. . . c:\oracle\network\, not c:\oracle\network
  4. For discovery to work properly, the node being discovered needs to have had the listener 'dbsnmp_start' executed. This is what OEM communicates with to gather connection information. On Unix 'lsnrctl dbsnmp_status<return>'. node = machine name, not instance name.
  5. Credentials should be set in the 'console' 'preferences' screen, then they become default for the instance.

HTH
Ted