Re: OEM 2

From: Verna Legaspi <vlegaspi_at_uswest.net>
Date: 2000/07/11

I use OEM 1.x to OEM 2.1. I basically just use it for a graphical representation of the database (storage, objects, users, etc.) I believe Oracle 8.1.6 comes with OEM 2.1 which also has the diagnostics, change management, and tuning pack.

One of the things I don't like about the newer OEMs v2x is it's Java based - it can be a resource hog and quite slow on your client machine. I'm not that "advanced" of a DBA yet to take full advantage of all it's features - but it helps. I usually use it in conjunction with Quest's Instance Monitor (now Spotlight on Oracle).

There's also the OEM console/management server feature that promises a lot of cool features like jobs scheduling and event alerts, but I found it's a beast to try and configure correctly.

HTH,
Verna