Re: WebDB concept question

From: Jacek Dobosz <nospam_at_nospam.com>
Date: 2000/07/05

On Wed, 5 Jul 2000 14:36:12 +0200, "Denis" <denismichel_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

>I don't get WebDB concept philosophy.
>
>A WebDB site is divided into folders. Folder is commonly a single page (in a
>classic term).
>Items exist within a folder. Each item is classified by a category and item
>may be assigned many perspectives.
>The folders are some kind of menu hierarchy.
>
> But what about WebDB components like menus? What is the right way to build
>site structure,hierarchy (navigation)? Via folders structure or via WebDB
>menus component?
>It seems confused to me.
>
>What are categories and perspectives in real (web building) life?
>
>Do I have to create one schema for WebDB site and another schema for WebDB
>components?
>
>Please, some experience advices, thoughts, links.
>
>Tnx
>
>Denis

WebDb was merged into one product from two oracle consulting frameworks - a web based application builder previously known as webview and the content manager. To avoid the confusion, this two basic concepts should be seen separately, but of course if you use webDB primarily as the content manager you can include there small applications like forms, menus, reports, trees, etc. If you use it primarily as the application builder you can use the content manager to better organize the applications. So it depends on you where you begin.

The content manager you can see as the 3 dimensional structure. The first one are folders and this can be organized hierarchically. Any content item (static like html file or dynamic like webdb-report) belongs to only one folder. In real life can be anything which is hierarchical eg. the organization. The second dimension are categories. This is mandatory and in real life should describe what the item is for your user. The third dimension are perspectives. This is optional and the content item can be assigned to more then one perspective. In real life can be something the user interested in.

;-)
Jacek

jdob (at) eunet (dot) at

share what you know