Re: Which block trigger in Forms 5.0 permits restricted built-in execute_query ?

From: Matt B. <mcb_at_fightspam.sd.znet.com>
Date: 2000/06/02

<barry_chase_at_papajohns.com> wrote in message news:0hkejscava5n3k5i0hufj3j1borcrar8is_at_4ax.com...
> I have a Dev2k form which I use the ON-UPDATE and PRE-INSERT block
> triggers to process changed/inserted records and validate whether the
> dates entered (begin / end date) over lap other entries in the table.
> The triggers work correctly, however, if it fails and use recv's alert
> box, there seems to be an implied rollback. So if the user
> immediately attempts to correct the data without requerying the data,
> they get a no-data found, underlying data has been changed. please
> re-query.
>
> I want to use execute_query in combination with maybe a global flag,
> in a subsequent block trigger that will avoid this no data found
> error, and simply refresh the data form, resetting all non-committed
> changed values back to prior values and newly non-commited insert
> records removed entirely since they are bad dates.
>
> Oracle's technet site and books don't appear to give much insight to
> where execute_query can be used, they talk more about where the
> triggers can be executed.

[Quoted] Maybe try to use PRE-UPDATE instead of ON-UPDATE...?

ON-UPDATE and ON-INSERT are mostly for intercepting the internally-generated SQL statements that the form generates for the update and insert statements and for you to override them. If you are validating and/or manipulating data in database column items programmatically *before* it gets to the database at all, you should be using the PRE-XXXX triggers, not ON-XXXXX triggers.

-Matt Received on Fri Jun 02 2000 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message