Re: Simple Index Hints Question

From: Pascal Glauser <glauser_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2000 18:18:23 GMT

Kenny

I do not fully understand your needs (the resulting and some sketch of the desired execution plan would be helpful), but I noticed that you used the table name in your hint. I tried with the alias (t in your case), for with the ordinary index hint, you must use the alias.

HTH
Pascal

In article <4GFF4.14362$9m6.579243_at_newsread1.prod.itd.earthlink.net>, "Kenny Lim" <kennylim_at_earthlink.net> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am just a beginner and are experimenting with index hints.
>
> I would like to know if I can force an index hints or a index_ffs
> hints in a query that comprises of multiple subqueries which
> are 3 level deep.
>
> If not what are the most common solution or a set of metrics
> to help identify and tune the problem in a production environment.
>
> ie. The table time_sheets are a relatively huge table opposed
> to the rest, I would just like to verify if I can force an index_ffs
> on time_sheets.
>
> Any pointers will be very much appreciated.
>
> SELECT * FROM employees
> WHERE emp_seq IN
> (SELECT /*+INDEX_FFS(time_sheets emp_seq) */emp_seq
> FROM time_sheets t
> WHERE proj_seq =
> (SELECT proj_seq
> FROM projects
> WHERE name = 'Debugger')
> --if no results, try Migration instead
> AND rpt_date =
> (SELECT MAX(effective_date) FROM sal_history s
> WHERE s.emp_seq = t.emp_seq))
>
> Please let me know if you need more explicit information interms of my
> experimentation.
>
> Thanks All in advance and you have a pleasant day.
>
> Kenny-

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Sun Apr 02 2000 - 20:18:23 CEST

Original text of this message