Re: Absolute Beginner

From: Mike Rainville <CCRE_at_musica.mcgill.ca>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 00:00:31 GMT

Start with Oracle 8, the Complete Reference, which is outstanding. You could start with SQL Plus reports and use Access and ODBC to connect to an Oracle Lite database.

Beware the Oracle Developer books, which I find generally seriously lacking

in detail: best is probably the list of functions in Stowe, but Lulushi is OK too.
I found myself constantly referring to examples to find out about NECESSARY

tools and subroutines. None of the examples in Oracle or the books was anywhere near realistic.

Finally, less is more: Developer does most things automatically for you, although
you may find it's default behaviour a bit awkward for most users. You can almost
build the data blocks and then layout fields with wizards and then run your application.

It's worth taking some time to experiment with that and a simple master-detail database.
My biggest surprise was that going to a field automatically opened its containing form,
for example.

Good luck,
Mike Rainville

Once you build one
significant application, the second will seem much easier.