Developer 6 dislikes Oracle_home

From: mstjohn <mstjohn_at_kgo.csc.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 12:30:30 -0500

[Quoted] I'm trying to install Developer 6, as downloaded from OTN, under Windows NT. Since my c: is full of older Oracle products, I'm trying to install it to an oracle_home on another disk. The Developer installer pops up the errors

"Oracle Developer - <names of various product parts> does not support multiple installations and therefore cannot be installed on 'dev_home'. It can only be installed in 'DEFAULT_HOME.'
In order to install Oracle Developer - <names of various product parts>, please run the Oracle Installer again, and select 'DEFAULT_HOME' as the target location."

DEFAULT_HOME is currently on c:, of course. Can I install Developer without wiping all my disks and starting over to put Developer on c:? I know the multiple Oracle homes are recorded in my registry. Is it safe to change those values to reassign DEFAULT_HOME to a disk with some space? I'm concerned that may create other problems. Oracle doesn't seem to manage its homes in any of the supplied utilities.

I searched the docs, checked Oracle's OracleInstall, and searched for obvious keywords at other places, but found no discussion of this problem. Is there a way around it short of discarding what's already on the DEFAULT_HOME disk?

Thanks for any info.

--
Glenn Holliday  ghollida_at_kgo.csc.com
Computer Sciences Corporation