Check For Uniqueness

From: William <sucheeha_at_singnet.com.sg>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 13:00:45 +0800

Hi,

I am having a data block with 3 primary keys and wishes to check that whether the data that the user has entered is unique. Currently what I am doing is running a PL/SQL procedure to traverse through every records in the data block and make a comparison.

My code look something like the following,

Declare
  last_row number;
Begin
Last_Record;
last_row := :system.cursor_record;
for i in 1..last_row
loop

    go_record(i);
    --comparison code
end loop;
End;

The problem that I am facing with this setup is that, as I traverse through the data block, whole lots of trigger gets fired! (on-populate-detail,on-clear-details,when-validate etc) Does anyone has a better solution in checking the uniqueness of a record right after a user has key in something?

thanks. Received on Tue Mar 07 2000 - 06:00:45 CET

Original text of this message