Re: WebDB vs. ColdFusion

From: Joel Racicot <joelracicot_at_home.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 11:59:33 GMT

Here's my take on it. Note that I haven't done an enormous amount of work with either, but here are my observations.

Webdb - Oracle

  1. Webdb is essentially PL/SQL packages and procedures with a wizard based interface.
  2. Templates can provide uniformity in webdb.
  3. Install went quickly and painlessly.
  4. I had a site setup and running in 2 days with interactive forms, using the wizards, some PL/SQL (not my strong suit) and Web Alchemy (freebie from Oracle, HTML to PL/SQL converter).
  5. Everything is stored in the database
  6. Performance depends on your server.

Cold Fusion - Oracle - IIS on NT

  1. Cold Fusion is tag based. Special tags (CFML) are inserted in HTML to produce page.
  2. Unless you buy Enterprise Edition, database connection is via ODBC (there may be a performance hit).
  3. Pages are dynamically generated by the CF Server.
  4. I had a site setup and running in 1.5 days
  5. Cold Fusion pages are stored in the docs directories of your web server.

My own choice in this case was to use Cold Fusion, on because of the environment I'm in. My team isn't a development team, we're a higher level architecture group, the skillsets required to code in PL/SQL are not strong among the team, and there is a high comfort level with HTML, leading to an easier transition to tag-based database interface development.

Another point is that, although Oracle is a corporate standard for DBs, we didn't have a standard for web database development and, when consulting with our Technology Architecture group on their recommendations, they felt that it would be wiser to choose a database independent, platform flexible tool (NT, Solaris, Linux...)

So, the short answer is probably depends on your (or your team's) Oracle skills. The higher the skills, the easier it would be to make the case for WebDb (or OAS).

Just my thoughts, for what it's worth.

Joel