Re: how to get excel into oracle

From: K Stahl <BlueSax_at_Unforgettable.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 15:07:44 -0500

Jack Montealegre wrote:

> Hey folks,
>
> Need help here. Beginner at 8i on NT and recently created some tables
> and views for a db to web application. I imported the data via Oracle's
> Workbench beta program, thank god that program was out there. Now I'm
> having a problem with an input web form that is normally used by the
> clients. So now I've had to resort to getting in client's information
> some other way until I have time to work on the form.
>
> They have the table data in a Excel File. How do I get that data from
> the Excel file to the table in 8i with minimal amount of effort?
>
> I'm guessing you could save the excel file into a text tab delimited
> file and then somehow bring it into Oracle.
>
> But how? Boy some say MS SQL sucks but if I was using it, no brain
> energy would need to be spent for this move :) j/k
>
> Please help,
>
> Jack
>
> P.S. other than SQL Plus and my Web Forms is there client side software
> that a user might use to input data? Maybe something that comes with
> Oracle which can use Net8 for connection?

To save it as a comma-delimited file do a File/Save AS and then on the pulldown menu select the command delimited file. For tab delimited selct the entry that says "Text (tab delimited)". Then, move the file to the machine which has the Oracle database (ftp is a good choice for this) and use sqlloader to load the tables.

Or, if you want to do this from a web-based application, use VBScript to open the excel spreadsheet and sweep through it one line at a time and insert the data into the database using ADI functions. This will probably be slower, but there are less steps involved once you get the program written. Received on Tue Feb 22 2000 - 21:07:44 CET

Original text of this message