Re: Got a question regarding newbies

From: <kal121_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/02/18

If one does not want to answer newbie questions, one does not *have* to answer newbie questions. By their very nature, newbies do not know enough about the documentation to know where to find the answers, that's why the come to the newsgroups. Apparently the people who have the time to post articles like this one have the time to answer stupid newbie questions. :-) I've always enjoyed helping people - why do some DBA's insist upon having an "attitude" about people who know less than they do? Learning *where* to find the answers is part of our skill set. Be happy that you live in a time and place where you can make lots of money being a DBA, enjoy prestige in your career, etc. You don't need to put others down in the process.

In article <38904321.73D4B53F_at_Unforgetable.com>,   Kenneth C Stahl <BlueSax_at_Unforgetable.com> wrote:
> I've been on this newsgroup for quite some time and have a couple
> questions.
>
> Why is it that every newbie on the oracle newsgroups automatically
 post a
> message asking for a way to determine the number of rows in a table
 without
> using count()?
>
> Why is it that every newbie also seems to automatically ask how to
 create a
> temp table in Oracle?
>
> It seems that the newsgroup spends an inordinate amount of time on
 these
> two issues and that newbies never read the thousands of messages on
 the
> subject before they post their own query.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Fri Feb 18 2000 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message