Re: SqlPlus and formatted output

From: Mike Dwyer <dwyermj_at_co.larimer.co.us>
Date: 2000/02/16

I counted 234 characters, plus acct_cd twice. This would wrap within the 80-column field, and a wrapped column automatically triggers a blank line between records. In addition to Sybrand's suggestions, I would break the query into multiple columns and get rid of the excessive concatenation. You can eliminate the space between columns with Set ColSep "". I also think you want to change your LineSize parameter to something larger than 80, but that's just a guess. As Sybrand said, an example of what you expect - and what you get - would be most helpful in answering your question.

HTH,
Mike

Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message news:950701480.12913.3.pluto.d4ee154e_at_news.demon.nl...
> Most likely your output is 4 lines. Any computed alphanumeric expression
> will automatically end up as a column with 80 characters.
> So you need to have the substr expressions aliased and a column xyz format
> a<whatever> before your sql statement,
>
> or better still use column statements before the statement so you don't
 need
> the lpad disaster.
> You can do it with either a format mask or to_char directly.
> This is merely an issue of using sufficient 0's in your format mask. In
 your
> case (provided the last digit should always be printed) you would need
> 0000000000009 or (I'm never sure about this) 0999999999999.

 ...{CUT}

> > (example script)
> > set LINESIZE 80
> > set pagesize 0
> > set trimspool on
> > set feedback off
> > set termout off
> > set wordwrap on
> > set trim on

{CUT} Received on Wed Feb 16 2000 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message