Re: Other options than C++ to write Oracle8 databases

From: Brian W. Chester <bwchester_at_home.com>
Date: 2000/02/15

Chris,

Tall order! If you already a functional application written in C++ (which is probably the most flexible language I have ever used) perhaps you should just have a skilled programmer modify and recompile the code. Functionality can be added fairly easily if the application development team did proper documentation.

As for an "easy to learn" WYSIWYG design tool, I'm not sure such an animal exists! There are many excellent design tools available. My favorite for complex database applications is Oracle Developer. It is not the easiest product to learn, but I think it is easier than C or C++. I have also used Oracle Designer which creates Oracle Developer applications from a repository based front end. Using designer, you create the database from the ground up (or reverse engineer it) then produce the app "from pictures to code" (Quote from Oracle white papers!). It is very difficult to learn but once mastered is a superb development environment. Developer is a true RAD environment.

I have user Visual Basic to excellent advantage for small scall "one-time" development for shops which do not have the budget for an Oracle Developer environment. While it has it's limitations, you can develop moderately complex application, in a shorter period time than C (ok, c isn't my strength!).

I have used Access in shops where they already had Office Pro on every desk and didn't want to invest in "any other interface". Access is great great for simple applications. Any thing complex that will have to do a lot of database intensive work, should have a strong PL/SQL backend written to limit the amount of data flowing on your network. Of course this applies to any development but especially to access.

If the application has very complex requirements such as scanning documents, working with large objects, etc. I would recommend C/C++ for it's great flexibility. If you really don't want to use C, use Developer or visual basic.

HTH Brian.