Re: OAS 4.0.8.1 on NT 4.0 SP 5 stability

From: <bcoulam_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/02/15

In article <887hvq$hkf$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   Girts Graudins <ggraudins_at_my-deja.com> wrote:
> In article <87v1oj$ned$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,
> Girts Graudins <ggraudins_at_my-deja.com> wrote:
> > We're trying to run a production server using OAS 4.0.8.1 on NT 4.0
> > SP5, connecting to an 8.0.5.1 database (certified configuration).
 Since
> > it's a production server, e're trying to achieve 100% uptime, but
 the
> > problem is the OAS keeps hanging several times a week despite the
 fact
> > that we've enabled all the recovery options in the OAS Manager. The
> > system routinely has at least 20 concurrent users, with peaks up to
 100.

> > We've tried to have perlscripts that would monitor the site and use
> > owsctl to restart it, but even that is hanging after we upgraded to
 OAS
> > 4.0.8.1.
> >
> > So the questions are:
> >
> > a) has anyone out there achieved reasonable stability with this
> > configuration. i would find it reasonable to have to reboot once a
 week
> > (sic!)
> >
> > b) what do people do to run high availability sites, short of
 having a
> > person on call 24x7.
> >
> > Thanks in advance!
>
> Come on - there's gotta be *somebody* out there who's running OAS
> without the server freezing solid once a day.. Yes? Anybody? How do
 you
> do it???
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

We had unbelievable nightmares after we foolishly/blindly upgraded from 4.0.7.1 on SP4 to 4.0.8.0 on SP5. The users finally got so frustrated they stopped using my app and went back to the primordial scum (using Word to enter trouble tickets). What solved my living hell?:

  1. Reformat hard drive of NT Server and reinstall NT Server with SP5 _40-bit_. This cleared up most of the worst inexplicable hangs, lost handles to services, memory crashes, etc. We had had several different previous versions of OAS, Oracle client stuff, and even a test copy of 8.1.5 for NT on that box. Its registry hives were just too messed up for OAS 4.0.8 to handle.
  2. Receive and install no less than 3 patches from Oracle which correct bugs they'd managed to either introduce or reintroduce with 4.0.8.
  3. Receive and install 4.0.8.1, ahhh, things are starting to go much smoother. 2 of the 3 patches mentioned above go on top of 4.0.8.1 (by the way 4.0.9 is due out mid-March).

That's it! I'm still waiting for a patch on an upload services minor bug, but it has pretty much been humming along without a hitch for over a month. Sorry you're having a lousy time getting to that point. Oh, and every once in a while my users get an inexplicable ORA-06502 indicating the error originates in the 5th line of package <xyz>. The 5th line is always inside the comment header for the package, so I know the error message is bogus. Turns out that either recompiling all my packages or reloading the PL/SQL application in OAS Manager does the trick and the error goes away for another 2 weeks.

Good luck!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue Feb 15 2000 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message