Re: TOAD

From: Steve Chapman <schapman_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2000 11:21:58 -0500

This is all easy to answer.

SQL*Plus does all that TOAD does, but you have to type every SQL statement, over and over.

TOAD saves you time and money because it runs the queries to see the lists of objects and details about the object. Try downloading the Evaluation version from www.quest.com and see for yourself.

The debugger also saves lots of time and money because of the single stepping, watch variables, call stack, stepping into and out of other procs, etc. Course, you could do most of this using DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE, but that's too tedious.

Also, since TOAD is a developer's tool, the features that are added are a result of user feedback through the TOAD mailing list at eGroups.com. Case in point: dropping columns from tables on databases < 8i. TOAD builds the script to rebuild a table using GUI, not typing. Saves time and $$$.

All this time and $$$ savings is quickly justified by the mere price you have to pay for TOAD.

--
Steve Chapman
TOAD Development Team

www.quest.com