Re: data modeling tools

From: Van Messner <vmessnerNOvmSPAM_at_discovernet.com.invalid>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 05:22:42 -0800

   Desisgner is most closley linked to Oracle databases but you can spend a very long time learning to use it. ERwin doesn't have every feature that you find in Designer but it does have a few very useful features that are missing in Designer. I particularly like the ease of reverse engineering in ERwin and its compare and contrast (model vs database) capability. And ERwin is very easy to learn and use.

   ERwin does not produce a "front end" for you, but it can provide a lot of information to a front-end tool such as PowerBuilder. In theory, Designer should be able to provide a standard front-end with very little work.

   In my opinion Designer has not yet reached the point where the extra effort to use it is justified by the results. However, Designer has made big strides in the last year or two. So it may become the tool of the future. In that case you'll be glad you spent the time to learn it.

Van

  • Sent from RemarQ http://www.remarq.com The Internet's Discussion Network * The fastest and easiest way to search and participate in Usenet - Free!