Issue an Update on a Base Table

From: Ajay Madan <ajay_madanNOajSPAM_at_usa.net.invalid>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 01:40:01 -0800

Hi !!

        My application is on Forms 6.0/Oracle8i server. I have a Database Block(no CTRL blocks) on a Base Table which has a Delete Flag field. Our Application requires that we update the delete flag field to 'Y' when there is a necessity to delete, instead of physically deleting the record from the database.

       The delete flag field is not supposed to be displayed on the canvas. So it is set to canvas Null. Everytime I try to set this field to 'Y' and then commit, the transaction fails giving a message that there is a primary key violation. This is happening bcos an insert is fired instead of an update. I come to understand that the type of SQL fired depends on the status of the record. An insert is fired if the record status is 'INSERT' and an update is fired if the status is 'CHANGED'.

Inspite of me changing my field value, the record status value does not change to 'CHANGED'.

Can you tell me how do I issue an 'update' at will, when using a Database Block? So that I can update only those fields whose values I want changed?

  • Sent from AltaVista http://www.altavista.com Where you can also find related Web Pages, Images, Audios, Videos, News, and Shopping. Smart is Beautiful