Re: Limitation with SQL Loader?

From: <djhobbes_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 17:00:36 GMT

In article <835qi8$8ss$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   howardparks_at_my-deja.com wrote:

> Sounds like a file formatting problem. You are telling SQL*Loader it
> has fixed length records, but it doesn't. SQL*Loader is not finding
> the end-of-record character it expects. You don't say which OS but
the
> options we have in VMS mean it pays to pay close attention to file
> formats.
>
> You mention physical records .. any CONTINUEIF statements which
> might mean a logical record problem?

It was my understanding that by specifying "fix <nnn>", there _was_ no end-of-record character. This is on Solaris 2.6 BTW.

When using a separate datafile (which does work fine for me) SQL*Loader simply considers each 85 byte chunk a new record. I simply want that behavior with the data embedded in the control file.

The reason I need to do this is simple as well: I'm using Perl to dump the data to a named pipe (that would be the data file). I would like for the Perl script to be able to control the parameters of the load as well. Of course, I could just have Perl create a temporary control file before forking the SQL*Loader, but that's messier and it seems I have the perfect scenario for embedding the data in the control (.ctl) file...

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue Dec 14 1999 - 18:00:36 CET

Original text of this message