Anyone using JD3/BC4J for larger project?

From: Randall J. Parr <RParr_at_TemporalArts.COM>
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 1999 17:09:46 -0600

Is anyone using JD3 for a larger project? Large, to me, is a two-tiered Java application accessing a database of 75 tables which together impliment aproximately 6 to 8 accounting/distribution "modules" (Customer, Order/Invoicing, A/R, Inventory, Pricing, Purchasing, Catalogs, ...)

I am trying to and I am finding several major problems/bugs that cause me to doubt that JD3 is adequate for a large project.

I am also finding JD3 seems to force me to use a project structure/procedures that make it hard to modularize the project and which seem to be somewhat at odds with the approach discussed throughout the on-line docs.

For example, JD3 (esp the wizards) seem to insist ALL the business components for my entire database be in one project/package. If they are, my JD3 gets dead slow. If I break them up into parallel project/package/modules, I am unable to access from one package (via wizards) the entities in a parallel module. I wind up having to create the business components in both project/packages/modules and thus have duplicate (or triplicate, ...) maintenance of those entities/views/etc.

For example, it would seem to make sense to maintain the business components in one or more projects, package them up, and then use that package in other projects to impliment the app/ui. However, JD3 wizards, in particular Infobus forms wizards, seem to require the business component *project* be part of the same workspace the ui projects is in.

It would help a lot to at least find out if other are or are not having any success using JDeveloper3 in this way. To find out if others are or are not having these same kind of problems (or IS IT just me?)

Thanks
R.Parr
Temporal Arts
330 S. Yellowstone Drive
Madison, WI U.S.A
608.833.4578
RParr_at_TemporalArts.COM Received on Fri Dec 10 1999 - 00:09:46 CET

Original text of this message