Help - Newbie Startup help requested - Oracle 8.0.5.1.0 has just been given to me

From: <Mike>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 19:14:59 GMT

[Quoted] Hi all,

I am a Unix admin. My experience is with general Unix, Networking and a propriatary application with it's own priopriatary dbms.

A new technology manger came to work here a while back and he insisted on buying all applicatons with Oracle underneath. A server was purchased running AIX and Oracle 8.0.5.1.0. The person who was in charge of it quit and now it has been dumped on me.

So now, I find myself being an Oracle DBA who knows nothing about Oracle.

I picked up a couple of books, but they all seem to think I should have some Oracle background already or the information they give is all theoretical or vague.

I need to know all the basics about administration.

--Creating users.

--Creating users so they have view/read only access to all of the
databases so they can create reports.

--I need to find out about remote connections. Can you users use
report packages like Crystal Reports to connect to Oracle and view all the data and create reports based on it or do they have to use SQLPLUS?
--Heck, right now I even need to know how to find out what tables
I do have and how to view it's properties and the data in them.

Does anyone know of a beginners Oracle book that will focus on everyday practical use, instead of theory?

Alright, I've spent long enough writing this, it's time to go diving into some more Oracle books - even though the books I have seem to suck, I guess they are better than nothing.

Thanks for your advice / help,

--Mike