Re: Configuring sqlnet listeners

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 15:31:59 -0400

A copy of this was sent to Kenneth C Stahl <BlueSax_at_Unforgettable.com> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Fri, 22 Oct 1999 09:08:38 -0400, you wrote:

>I have a machine running two different Oracle 7.3.4 database instances.
>Currently I only have a single listener which is used by both instances. I
>want to split the listener so that I have a seperate listener for each
>instance. Can both listeners use port 1521 or must I configure one listener
>on 1521 and another on 1526. Is there any convention which should be
>followed for separate listeners?

only one process at a time can listen on a given ip address/port.

each physical listener process needs it's own port.

there are no real hard and fast conventions for port numbers. you pick what you want. 1521 is the default.

--
See http://osi.oracle.com/~tkyte/ for my columns 'Digging-in to Oracle8i'...
Current article is "Part I of V, Autonomous Transactions" updated June 21'st