Re: Connect to ORACLE using C++ on UNIX ?

From: Amit Ghosh <mail_at_ghosh.de>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 14:33:19 +0200

keso wrote:

> Hi gurus!
>
> I have one question for you.
> I am familiar with connecting to ORACLE via ODBC on Windows,
> but now I need it on UNIX (and I don't know almost nothing about UNIX).
> What are the options to do it and what software will I need ?
>
> thanks in advance,
>
> Vedran

I'm currently porting a daemon from NT to UNIX and I use OCI calls on both platforms. OCI is bundled with Oracle, so there is no additional software you'll need. Porting the Oracle-level is trivial, since there are no visible differences in the API on both platforms (AFAIK).

Another option would be Pro/C wich is a precompiler (also bundled with Oracle) for embedded SQL (never used it by myself, since I feel very comfortable using OCI an I hate this precompiling stuff).

But be warned. Porting to one of the above most probably means rewriting most of your application (if you're into porting).

Surfing the Web I recently read something about ODBC for UNIX (at least for Linux). Sorry, but I can't remember the URL. Maybe this will be the best option for you, since you know this ODBC stuff. ODBC/UNIX will be ok, if timeline is your primary goal and performance isn't a critical factor.

If there is enough time for learning, I would choose OCI. But these are just my 0.02$

Hope this helps.

Regards

--
Amit Ghosh