Re: Declaring and using Global Variables

From: <rtproffitt_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 1999 16:44:40 GMT

Farjaad,

  1. Say you wish to set a flag in a module, then later when another button is pressed use that information...
  2. Or suppose that it is easier just to set some globals temporarily to use in another module, rather than build a whole parameter block to pass parameters...

In the first trigger...

   :global.myflag := 'my text value';
All globals are text, with maximum 255 (?, 256?) characters, at least in Forms 5.

Later, in another trigger...

    If :global.myflag = 'my text' Then
    Elsif :global.myflag = 'another choice' then     else etc.... end if;

Two valuable functions:
DEFAULT_VALUE('x','global.myflag');
ERASE('global.myflag');

Default_value says, "do a test for :global.myflag, and if it already exists, fine, just let it be and move on, but if it does not exist, then create it and give it a value of 'x'.
Erase destroys the variable.
Example:

     DEFAULT_VALUE(NULL, 'global.myflag');
     IF :global.myflag IS NULL then
        :global.myflag := 'FirstTime';
     END IF;

Two other functions:
NAME_IN, and COPY.
Name_In is for indirect referencing, valuble when you cannot you bind syntax (:global.xxx is not allowed in a procedure or function)...
Thus: If NAME_IN('global.myflag') IS NULL ..... note the variable typed as is a text string in single quotes.

COPY is also for use with indirect referencing...

   COPY( value, destination)
   COPY('my text', 'global.myflag');

       This is how you would do an assignment in a procedure
       (bind syntax not allowed).
   COPY( NAME_IN('global.myflag'), 'global.myflag2');
       copy the contents of -- global.myflag into
       global.myflag2.

Robert Proffitt
Beckman Coulter
Brea, California

In article <x8ZJ3.1415$ra5.162_at_tundra.ops.attcanada.net>,   "OraFan" <farjaad_at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi Guys
>
> I am very new in programming stuff, and have been reading oracle
> d2k books for some time, most of these books refer to the term
'Writing
> Flexible Code' most of which refer to Using Global Variables, but I
could
> not find one good example of declaring and using a global variable in
the
> application examples given in the books
>
> Can you please be kind enough to give me a very practical example of
> declaring and using a global variable in any of the triggers or
procedures
> your example should show how to define or declare a global variable
and how
> to store value in it and how to make use of that value (global
variable).

> Thanks so much for your time to read this all and thanks even so much
more
> for replying me with what I am looking for
>
> Thanks
> Farj

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Mon Oct 04 1999 - 18:44:40 CEST

Original text of this message