Comparisons between Front Ends and Development Tools for Oracle 8i

From: Carl Taswell <taswell_at_toolsmiths.com>
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 1999 10:32:11 -0700

I have not yet found a clear comprehensible comparison anywhere in the Oracle website and/or literature that contrasts the different development tools and front ends for Oracle 8i.

(I have the impression that Oracle assumes every new customer has been working with their products for years which is contradictory since then the new customer wouldn't be a new customer!)

 All of the marketing hype sounds the same to me (with all the usual terms used to describe everything seemingly the same way without any contrasting differences). Nowhere have I been able to find a simple table listing pro/cons and advantages/disadvantages of the different approaches.

Does anybody know where such a contrast/comparison exists either in Oracle literature or 3rd-party literature including any other database magazines or books???

For use with Oracle 8i, I'm looking for a comparison between any of the following:

  1. Oracle Developer
  2. Oracle WebDB
  3. Oracle Application Server
  4. Oracle Jserver
  5. 3rd party tool

A very key question is the question of INTEROPERABILITY: Once the application has been developed with one approach, can it be converted or used with another approach???

For example, if a website is designed with WebDB, can the web pages be exported/imported to other web design tools such as Adobe Go Live? Or is the developer restricted to using just WebDB alone?

What is a recommended approach for developing a web site in an open interoperable manner that can still exploit the use of other web page design tools?

Comments and opinions from any/all contributors most appreciated!!! Received on Sun Sep 05 1999 - 19:32:11 CEST

Original text of this message