Re: Oracle Books

From: Mark Framness <framnesso_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 16:20:55 GMT

[Quoted] In article <arroo99-0308992121210001_at_ts48l36.pathcom.com>,   arroo99_at_yahoo.com (Ann) wrote:
> I am thinking of learning Oracle on my own.

Great!

> Are there any good Oracle books that teach how to program with Oracle?
> (for beginners)

The books I've had experience with are as follows. Teach Yourself (TY) SQL in 24 Hours. I can hear the cringing now but without knowing more background I would say that this offers a nice overview of RDMSs (though they mess up with where the word relational comes from) and a gentle introduction to SQL. It also gives the reader a cause to investigate the Oracle doc.s a bit as it goes with a mostly implementation generic version of SQL (though at this level it is all fairly standard).

TY PL/SQL in 21 Days. This book is Oracle specific and has some good stuff on SQL *Plus. I am using it now to complement some online training I'm doing at my office.

Oracle Certified Professional Application Developer Exam Guide. Great book, highly recomended. But the book is intimidating and you will need some understanding of RDBMS in order to cut down on this intimidation factor.

I strongly suggest you purchase Personal Oracle for your home system. This gives you the chance to try out what you learn.

As to what some of the responses to your query I would say that I agree that learning the whole of Oracle is a huge undertaking and that you concentrate on parts of it at a time. Try to find some websites or books that give an overview of databases in general and relational databases in particular.

> What tools would I need to use to program in Oracle?

Well that depends but your system (along with what comes with Personal Oracle) should have enough for most work. I have written a REXX (akin to PERL) script that reads a couple of tables and formats names & addresses and outputs them in address label style (I use OS/2 as my home development/study platform, hence REXX). I'm getting close to writing up some PL/SQL code to probably do the same. Later on I'll look at using C++ and Java (known as embedded sql code) in conjunction with Netscape to do the same.

Oracle also has various tools for developing forms, reports and interfaces. Also there are a lot of 3rd party products. As far as this goes I think you can do quite a bit on your own and when you get to a shop that has the tools then you can quickly understand how to use them.

--
Mark A. Framness
http://netnet.net/~farmer/index.hmtl

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/