Re: SQLPLUS80 - where's the cancel button

From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes_at_interlog.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 1999 15:51:09 GMT

On 28 Jul 1999 08:41:15 +1000, Christopher Jones <cjones_at_au.oracle.com> wrote:

> Because of changes to the OCI layer, it was not possible
> to provide the same pop up window with the original
> SQL*Plus 8.0 release, and it had to be removed.
  HOORAH!!!
>We are working on a reimplementation.

  ARRRRRRRRRRGH!!! Please don't, at least not in its previous form. That was the "feature" that generated the most cursing from me. Please remember that we've progressed beyond singletasking  DOS, and that the Oracle client for Win9X might be just one of 3 or 4 programs I'm running at any given time.   I sometimes want to run a multi-stage query, or a PL/SQL program with multiple SELECT calls, or multiple PL/SQL programs serially from a DOS batch file. That can take a long time. I don't know about anybody else, but my employer doesn't pay me to babysit my PC while a query is running. Therefore, I turn to another project, or answer my email whilst the PL/SQL program runs. So I'm merrily typing away at my email when the next SELECT is invoked *AND THE IDIOTIC CANCEL QUERY GRABS FOCUS*. And I hit <spacebar> or <Enter> while typing an email, but that key is grabbed by the cancel dialogue, *WHICH CANCELS MY QUERY*. DUMB, DUMB, DUMB!!!
  The guy who wrote that idiocy should be the beta tester for the Immediate_Execute_Programmer() API call.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes_at_interlog.com> procmail spamfilter
http://www.interlog.com/~waltdnes/spamdunk/spamdunk.htm