Re: How to store 'time' values?? Date field?

From: Han Thomas <han_at_royal.net>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1999 02:39:48 GMT

On Fri, 30 Jul 1999 12:29:42 GMT, tkyte_at_us.oracle.com (Thomas Kyte) wrote:

>no it is not 00:00:00 by default. if you insert a character string like
>'01-JAN-99', it'll give it midnight as the time but if you put in SYSDATE, it'll
>have the day and time.

Ah, I see..

>When they clock in, you'll insert SYSDATE.
>When they clock out, you'll insert SYSDATE again.

But the system is not real-time. I will have to import a time value from a file from a timeclock type device. So can I insert a time value other than SYSDATE? [Quoted] I will also have to store the standard times at which different employees should come in. (i.e. factory staff at 8:00, office staff at 9:00, computer people at 11:00 ( :-) ) and so on. Then compare the times at which people come in with these standard times.

>To determine the hours worked, you'll subtract. Say "a" is the start time and
>"b" is the end time, then:
>
>(b-a) is the number of days worked (will be fractional)
>(b-a)*24 is the number of hours worked
>(b-a)*24*60 is the number of minutes worked
>and so on...

Thanks a lot!!!

Cheers,
Han.

| Han Thomas               30/1 Ton Kham Road,  Tha Sala   |
| Han_at_Royal.net            Muang Chiang Mai 50000 THAILAND |
| www.afmgroup.com/han     tel 053-308958 fax 249854       |