Re: Connecting Developer/2000 to local database

From: wozi <wozi_at_dhc.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 08:28:27 -0700

Leonwhea wrote in message <19990722030007.29881.00000235_at_ng-bd1.aol.com>...
>Does anyone know needs to be done for Developer/2000 to connect to the
local
>database?
>
>On trying to connect any Developer/2000 (Release 2.1) application to my
local
>Oracle 8 Personal Edition database (Version 8.0.4.0.0), the application
hangs
>with the hourglass and the "Working" message. It's all on Windows 98.
>
>Installing a network card made no difference.
>
>I'm also not sure whether to choose TCP/IP or SPX or Named Pipes when
setting
>up a database alias. Nor what TCP/IP Host Name or SPX Service Name or
Named
>Pipes Server I should specify.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Leon

Here are some helpful tips.

1.Developer uses SQL*Net , NOT Net80. So, make sure that sql*net 2.3.4 is installed. The bequeath protocol allows SQL*Plus 8 to connect locally by bypassing the listener process. However, Dev. needs the listener to connect locally
2. Make sure that you have %oracle_home\network\admin directory 3. You MUST start the listener (TNSLSNR80.EXE) after the database is started 4 Use the SQL*NET Easy config utility to create a new service. In my case, I simply deleted the exisiting 'ORCL' service and created a new one. when creating a new service, do not specify Bequeath as the protocol. Select TCP/IP instead. Also, you will need to provide the TCP/IP host name which is the computer name where oracle is installed.

Once done, you should be able to connect from Sql*plus 3.3 as well as Developer by specifying user name, password, AND the service name. You cannot leave the connect string blank.

  1. Start Personal Oracle Database
  2. Then, I go to Dos prompt and type lsnrctl80.exe
  3. Then, I type START listener should be up and running! In my case, I have the following files tnsnames.ora,sqlnet.ora & listener.ora in C:\orawin95\network\admin Also, in the registery, there be an entry like net20=C:\orawin95\network

wozi_at_dhc.net Received on Thu Jul 22 1999 - 17:28:27 CEST

Original text of this message