Re: Navigating Detail Records

From: Graham Miller <lgmiller_at_elmrd.u-net.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 17:22:29 GMT

Hello Daniel,
 You are quite correct, a block level trigger does only fire when you enter of leave the block. However, as you want to validate records (or screen items) then why not put your trigger at the item level instead of the block level?

In the forms navigator, if you expand the field items you will find that you can put triggers there (at item level). These triggers will fire whenever the screen field is actioned. This includes changing to a different row.

I suggest that it doesn't make too much sense to have a validate-item trigger on at block level. I suggest a validate record trigger at this level. This gets fired whenever a user tries to leave the record.

>... What I am having trouble finding is a record
>level trigger that will fire when query results are displayed and when scrolling.

When query results are displayed --> see POST-QUERY - this gets fired for each row returned. It is often used to put data in non-database fields. It doesn't matter whether you scoll or not.

graham