Re: Navigating Detail Records

From: Daniel A. Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 1999 12:15:41 -0700

> Can you post a little more about what you a trying to do and why you
> think the trigger isn't working correctly.
>
> The 'WHEN-VALIDATE-ITEM' trigger will fire for each data record in the
> block when the data in the field changes (when the cursor leaves the
> field). I think it will fire if you have a 'post-query' trigger
> populating non-database fields. This can cause bother. :-)

[Quoted] I have a field in the database with a check constraint that accepts the values R (red), Y (yellow) and G (green) for a stoplight charting application. The end-users will be looking at a Forms 5.0 front-end containing a list item with the values Red (mapped to 'R'), Yellow (mapped to 'Y') and Green (mapped to 'G'). So far so good. And the WHEN-VALIDATE-ITEM trigger works just fine when updating or inserting a new record.

The problem is that when an initial block-query is made, or when the user is scrolling from parent record to parent record the WHEN-VALIDATE-ITEM trigger does not fire. Block level triggers affect the entire block and don't distinguish [Quoted] between the child block's records. What I am having trouble finding is a record level trigger that will fire when query results are displayed and when scrolling.

Thanks,

Daniel A. Morgan Received on Wed Jul 07 1999 - 21:15:41 CEST

Original text of this message