Re: Fatal bug in Oracle JDBC OCI driver - Oracle admits it.

From: Joseph Weinstein <joe_at_weblogic.com>
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 09:42:19 -0700

If you can consider another option, WebLogic's OCI driver has been on the market longer and is very stable. Cisco continues to use it for indefinitely running lights-out applicatons where memory and cursor leakage is completely intolerable.

Joe Weinstein at BEA, the home of WebLogic

Dean Willis wrote:

> I've just spent two days checking everything in my system, and multiple
> calls to oracle technical support to find out that there is a problem in the
> Oracle JDBC OCI driver that Oracle thinks may or may not be a problem worth
> fixing. The driver builds a cursor when it does an insert and then fails to
> release that cursor. In addition to being a waste of resources, when you
> reach the number of inserts that is equal to your ORACLE MAX_CURSORS, you
> will abend with an ORA-01000 Max open cursors exceeded. The only workaround
> for this is to keep track of how many inserts you have made, and before it
> gets to the MAX_CURSORS limit, then you must disconnect and re-connect to
> the database. Keep in mind that Oracle and the drivers open cursors that
> you don't know about, so you are never really sure when you need to
> disconnect and reconnect to the database. Oracle has asked me to send them
> all my code, and the abend and everything else they could think of, because
> even though they know about this bug, they are not sure it is serious enough
> to fix. If you are only doing a few inserts, then it will only waste your
> resources, but if you are doing a real application that does many inserts,
> it will abend on you. I can't believe that Oracle is so arrogant about this
> to think it not a problem that needs fixing.
>
> These are the JDBC OCI drivers on the Oracle CD for Oracle 8.0.5, so I do
> not know if it affects other versions, but I would suspect so. We are also
> running Solaris 2.7 with JDK 1.1.

                    The Weblogic Application Server from BEA
         JavaWorld Editor's Choice Award: Best Web Application Server
  Java Developer's Journal Editor's Choice Award: Best Web Application Server
     Crossroads A-List Award: Rapid Application Development Tools for Java
Intelligent Enterprise RealWare: Best Application Using a Component Architecture
               http://weblogic.beasys.com/press/awards/index.htm