Re: Reference objects in Dsigner 2 - HELP PLEASE !!

From: Frank van Bortel <f.van.bortel_at_vnl.nl>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 14:26:52 +0200

Marius G Dreyer wrote:

> Hi all....
>
> I am using Designer 2.1.
> I have a base application where all my entities and table definitions are
> defined.
>
> Some of these objects are shared into other applications.
>
> The problem now is :
>
> 1. I want to make changes to some enity definitions, which will make changes
> to the table definition which in turn are referenced in other applications.

As long as you add columns, nothing's the matter. Else, see the problems you found below...

> 2. When I try to delete or change the definitions, I get an error stating
> that some bound items exsist in other applications.

Well, a warning. When you delete your table or column, this means the defined module in the other application will not work anymore. So designer prevents you from doing that - neat huh?
What you can do is change the other application as well, or create a new version

of you application system - this will create a frozen application system version with
the original definitions, still used by the other app.

> What is the best route to follow to make changes to object after they have
> been shared into other applications ?

Don't make 'em (you asked for the best ;-)). Seriously, depends on what needs to happen - does the other app need this definition, or does it need to reflect the changes as well?

--
Met vriendelijke groet,
kind regards,

Frank van Bortel
Technical consultant Oracle
V&L Informatica BV
Work                           Home
Postbus 545                    Hunzestraat 4
7500 AM Enschede               7555 WB Hengelo
(31)53.434.1500                (31)74.242.5046