Re: How to grab the name of a failing trigger in Form4.5

From: <stevec_at_zimmer.csufresno.edu>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 1999 19:34:10 GMT

[Quoted] I agree that Loyal Barber's example would be more difficult to trap. But that is more an unusual situation, and not the normal one.

I will stick by my original recommendation to run the form with debug_messages=on, and see what pops up. The original poster said it was an On-Error trigger that was running. So all he needs to do is keep track of each trigger that started, and as soon as On-Error shows up, then it was the one immediately before that one. If not that one, then look into the one just prior, etc. It would not be a long trail to trace before he found the problem.

Writing an exception handler in EVERY trigger just because you have a single one failing in your form is a bit too much work for me. Besides, most Forms developers aren't even sure when when to code EXCEPTION WHEN... and when to code IF NOT FORM_SUCCESS THEN...

I write exception handlers ONLY when absolutely necessary, and I believe the code is much easier to maintain.

Steve Cosner

In article ?371ED179.B4A78CCD_at_dd.ru?,   Valeri Sorokine ?vsorokin_at_dd.ru? wrote:
? As far as I know the better way is using exception–handling part in each
? PL/SQL unit :), as mentioned by Patrick Flahan.

?

? Loyal Barber wrote:
? ? Steve Cosner wrote:
? ?snip?
? ? ? Run the form with debug messages turned on.
? ?snip?
? ?
? ? This might be a bit misleading.
? ?
? ? If I have trigger A which raises trigger B then trigger
? ? A resumes at the conclusion of B, I will see a display indicating
? ? that A fired then B then I will get my error.
? ?
? ? So in this case, even though the error occurred in A, I would think
? ? it occurred in B.
? ?
? ?snip?