Re: Menu Driven Applications in Designer/Developer 2000

From: Frank van Bortel <f.van.bortel_at_vnl.nl>
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 1999 10:15:15 +0200

Hans van Dam wrote:

Hi Justine,

I have had numerous problems in developing with Oracle tools. The
bottom line is that Oracle DBMS is just fine and you can use Designer
to design whatever you want.  You can even generate DDL-scripts for
creating and maintaining your Databases.

If you want programs which apply to the following specifications and
if you have the time to try and try again and finally get it right
then you should use Oracle products for programming:
-       resource-consuming
-       slow
-       a GUI that looks like its coming from the stone age
-       pre-compiled (unreadable) code-libraries

? Are you referring to PLX files? I _want_ them to be unreadable!

Oracle Developer is just terrible in comparison with other Visual
development tools.

Oracle Designer lets you generate running applications but it's very
difficult to implement all the functionality you need

Like what? Do you have an example where you can model a module,
and then generate the module for a GUI front-end (Form), Web based,
dynamic HTML or paper (Report)? Mind you - one definition, three results!
How's that for a productivity booster?
and even harder to get the GUI you want.
As it is with all generators, I would think... Designer is a generator, layout is generated from a
metamodel. If you want to spend hours over layout titbits, use VB
Generally the result is much like a character-based interface that's converted to a GUI.
Well, radio groups, pop and textlists, buttons, etc have been supported ever from the
first GUI release (V4.0). Agreed, it was an attempt to gain/keep marketshare, but
things have been improved drastically since then (how long ago - 4 years? That would
make it a dinosaur! Even Win'95 isn't that old - yet, and already obsolete)

Maybe the latest versions are better, but that also applies to the
latest versions of other products.
This, and the above, makes me wonder what's the latest version you've seen?
Oracle is a database-product and nothing more. Everything around it is just a way to get more grip on
the consumer-market. So if you have the choice you better get a real application-development tool like Delphi,
Visual Basic
Oh yeah! There's a fine example of a generator!
or whatever but do NOT use Designer/Developer to design menu driven apps!

Hans van Dam

Stop whining, and give examples; the poster needs to write a critique, which
is different from seeking critisism, especially unmotivated like yours.

On Tue, 06 Apr 1999 14:20:04 +0100, Justine Westfallen
<j.westfallen_at_unl.ac.uk> wrote:

>Dear All,
>As part of my MSc Computing we have been set a task to construct a menu
>driven application.  Part of the assignment is a critique of the
>Designer/Developer 2000 toolset.  I would be interested to hear any
>particular benefits or problems that people have had using
>Designer/Developer 2000 to design menu driven apps.
>
>Regards, Justine Westfallen
>j.westfallen_at_unl.ac.uk

Justine,
The beaty of Designer is that you would not need Developer to design your menu-driven application,
obviously you need it to generate and run it. Basically, you do not need any knowledge of
Developer to generate a menu-driven application from Designer. I know too, Hans, that in order to
make something maintainable, sofisticated, etc, etc, you actually do need a lot of expertise of Developer,
but those add-ons are available commercially as well: Oracle Headstart, UCC Guidelines, to name just 2.

Gotta' run now - hope you'll get more info, and wish you all the best with your persue of
the MSc Computing!

Kind regards
--
Frank van Bortel

Technical Consultant Oracle
V&L Informatica BV
Work                                Home
Postbus 545                         Hunzestraat 4
7500 AM Enschede                    7555 WB Hengelo
(31)53.434.1500                     (31)74.242.5046