Re: career change

From: Arjan van Bentem <avbentem_at_DONT-YOU-DAREdds.nl>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 1999 13:36:03 +0100

  1. David Leister, Jr. wrote
    >I need to be a developer before I can
    >again be a DBA in Oracle.

I can understand that you cannot switch from PICK to Oracle without any education (or learning on the job). However, I do not agree that an Oracle DBA needs to have Oracle developing experience. Of course, if a DBA also needs to write code (like triggers) then that might be true, but DBAs in my organization do not do that at all. I feel that, apart from DBA knowledge, platform knowledge (like Sun Solaris) is by far more important than development experience (like PL/SQL).

Arjan. Received on Sat Mar 20 1999 - 13:36:03 CET

Original text of this message